Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Damien Correll: awesome designer

Based out of Brooklyn NY Damien Correll is a freelance designer who has worked for Urban Outfitters, Nike, Yale University, K2, Rome SDS, Plug Research, Nickelodeon, Zoo York and Polyvinyl Records to name a few. He has also been featured in the New York Magazine, XLR8R, Juxtapoz, IdN, STEP, NOVUM, The New York Times Magazine, Faesthetic and contributes regularly to Swindle Magazine.
You can tell from his work that he really has fun with his designs. His style kind of reminds me of Mike Perry. Just like Perry he uses simple illustrations that are highly geometric and sometimes repetitive mixing it with photography and typography. Lots of patterns and layers are used to complete the aesthetic.

So check him out, his portfolio is overflowing with good design. Like most designers you can also buy stuff from his online store if you really like it.

7 comments:

  1. Glory! Damien is amazing. I'm so glad you are a fan as well. He and Mike Perry blow my socks off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicee how did you find this guy?

    ReplyDelete
  3. GRA-FIK
    as of now, (and because of you), i really like Mike Perry.

    notice how i used commas AND brackets above? totally not allowed.
    =====================
    CALVIN HARRIS: "it was acceptable at the time..."
    THIS IS OUR SONG, '88!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWnc1wHeg80
    =========

    MIKE PERRY
    fufills my need for all things bright, bubbly and sugar-coated (and preferably stuffed with a sugar filling, too).

    text, words are beautiful.
    i also like that one picture with the crooked penises.

    +=====+

    i have beeing toying with the idea of making a glossy mini magazine out of an essay to hand in to my history teacher.

    yay or nay?

    i get bursts of being gutsy and 100% artist-indentity.

    then i fill out my square frame and remember there are rules for good reasons.

    if i did make the magazine. the front cover would say

    'THIS IS AN ESSAY'
    in arial black bold, size 100, or whatever the largest is to fit on the page.

    it would be kind of fitting, since i am writing on the REGINA FIVE artists...

    ==========
    IS MIKE PERRY THE ONE WHO DOES THE PERRY BIBLE FELLOWSHIP COMICS?

    ReplyDelete
  4. his nike designs are off the heeeezy fo sheezy!
    good call ariane! you are truly a great blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could design better than him, I just don't want to

    ReplyDelete
  6. any body that uses clarendon for an atypica cover is a body of mine...

    ReplyDelete
  7. SD, you may have bad grammar, but I love your 'THIS IS AN ESSAY' idea. Maybe I'll steal it. But why use Arial when you can use something more awesome? I do not think he does anything with Perry Bible Fellowship comics... at least that I know of.

    Katie... Honestly can't remember how I found him, usually I look at so many blogs and sites that are all connected follow some links on said sites until I see stuff that catches my eye and then bookmark it for future blogging reference. Next up, maybe product design, maybe paprika, who knows.

    anonymous you are hilarious.

    cw I totally agree.

    ReplyDelete