Monday, January 4, 2010

Top 10 Albums of 2009

Alright. New Year, new music. 2009 was an amazing year for music. Here I shall count down my top 10 favourite albums of 2009. Maybe next time I'll do top ten songs. Without further ado...

10. Noble Beast- Andrew Bird: If you have the deluxe version you know why. Bird's catchy melodies, poetic lyrics, and beautiful instrumentation (I have a thing for violins) make this double album one of my favourites of 2009.
9. Fantasies- Metric: Fantasies was a highly anticipated album from Metric after a four year hiatus. The band's sound remains firmly rooted in high energy indie pop. A solid return gives Metric the number 9 spot on my list.
8. Family- Think About Life: One of my favourite albums to dance to in 2009, seeing them live was also an awesome experience. They put on a great show that was highly theatrical and had everyone dancing.7. Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix- Phoenix: I love Phoenix. One of France's greatest exports musically Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix built on what It's Never Been Like That started: well-crafted and catchy as hell songs that you want stuck in your head.
6. It's Blitz- Yeah Yeah Yeahs: Is Is was not sufficient enough; the more I listen to the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, the more I want to listen to them. That being said, It's Blitz was awesome.
5. Popular Songs- Yo La Tengo: Yo La Tengo has been around for decades and are still making amazing music. Popular Songs embodies the characteristics that make them so great. A plethora of musical stylings ranging from pop, funk, blues, shoe-gaze, and a lot in between creates an interestingly diverse album.
4. Bitte Orca- Dirty Projectors: I cannot possibly fathom how the Dirty Projectors write their music. It is so calculated and complex that all you can do is listen in awe. Bitte Orca is surrealy beautiful.
3. Logos- Atlas Sound: Bradford Cox's solo project is just as delicious as Deerhunter. It's a newer release but with songs like Criminals, Kid Klimax, and Walkabout I just keep liking it more and more the more I listen to it.2. Veckatimest- Grizzly Bear: Veckatimest was easily the most beautiful album of 2009.
1. Merriweather Post Pavilion- Animal Collective: It was almost a year ago since the release of Merriweather. I almost overlooked it because of this, but then I considered how many times I listened to it on repeat, and had to make it number 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment